Sunday, February 17, 2008

Disaster Strikes!

About 4am Monday morning I heard Siosi crying a bit in her room so I went to check on her. She was having difficulty breathing. I took her in our room and laid her in our bed to monitor her more closely. Her breathing was so violent the bed shook. I called the nurse hotline only to be told that she was congested. Oh really! I could have diagnosed that myself! Siosi had been sick for some time before with a virus that went into an ear infection. By midmorning I felt so sick and worried that just packed the kids up and went to Mom's house. It doesn't seem as scary when you have two opinions about what is going on. Siosi was getting so little oxygen that she just kept sleeping and sleeping. Then she started throwing up. That's when I called the doctor again. They told me to bring her in ASAP! Total opposite reation from the first call. Once again, you must be your own advocate! Turned out the virus attacked her bronchial tubes and they had become so irritated and inflamed, she couldn't breath. She was hospitalized for three days. During that time she was given an steroid via IV to reduce the swelling in her lungs and bronchials and oxygen treatments. She also received an antibiodic for her double ear infection which still hasn't gone away! We are on the third type of medication for it now! Now that we are at home we are using a nubulizer for breathing treatments and a couple other meds.

Those were some very slow three days! I am grateful for the priesthood that blesses our children. Siosi felt so much better the second day there, we could hardly keep her still to keep the IV in! I am so glad to be out of the hospital too, to keep away from the sounds, sights, and smells of the hospital that make me physically ill! YUCK!
I felt so sorry for her being in this crib. It looks like a prison!

1 comment:

Janie said...

Poor little Siosi. I hope all is going well now. Sure glad you took her in.
Sebastian Strasser, who is Grandpa Strasser's grandfather came to America with his maternal grandmother. He is listed on Mormon immigration records as Sebastian Staheli. Some census records say he was born in Switzerland (like his grandmother) others say Germany. You can look him up on familysearch.org. Look in the Ancestral file his number is 270P-NV.

'Uta'atu Family

Introducing...the 'Uta'atu Family!